• Home
  • Firm Blog
  • I was assaulted by a drunk man. Can I file a civil lawsuit against him?

August 28th, 2013

I was assaulted by a drunk man. Can I file a civil lawsuit against him?

People who commit assaults can be held criminally and civilly liable. The same goes for those who get drunk and get into fights or otherwise harm innocent people.

Under both Pennsylvania and New Jersey law of tort liability, those who cause injury to others can be forced to answer in a court of law and ultimately be required to pay a monetary judgement. In many cases, the drunk individual’s homeowners’ insurance company will be required to pay most, if not all, of the judgement amount. Read more about homeowners’ insurance coverage in a drunken assault case.

Filing a civil lawsuit generally entails filing legal pleadings and then proceeding with the discovery process, which includes answering written questions about the case, exchanging documents and conducting depositions of witnesses and parties. After discovery is complete, the case will proceed to trial or otherwise be settled by way of a mutual agreement between the parties.

It is important to note that other parties may be liable in a situation when a drunk person assaults or injures another. The bar or restaurant which served alcohol to the person may be liable. It is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible to discuss liability of other parties.

Related alcohol liability articles:

Pennsylvania & New Jersey Alcohol Accident/Liability Lawyers

To submit your case for review by our accident and injury lawyers, please call Click To Call. Our lawyers are available for a free, no obligation legal consultation.

Our personal injury attorneys serve accident victims in the following areas: Allegheny County, PA; Berks County, PA; Bucks County, PA; Chester County, PA; Delaware County, PA; Lehigh County, PA; Montgomery County, PA; Northampton County, PA: Philadelphia County, PA; Atlantic County, NJ; Burlington County, NJ; Camden County, NJ; Cumberland County, NJ; Gloucester County, NJ; Salem County, NJ; New Castle County, DE; he County, DE; Atlantic City, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Newark, NJ; Doylestown, PA; Media, PA; West Chester, PA; Norristown, PA; Camden, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Newark, DE; Georgetown, DE; and New Castle, DE. They also work with lawyers nationwide and can obtain special admission in other states on a case by case basis.

**This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is crucial to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.